At Urban Partners Los Angeles, the emphasis is on the meaning of being a neighbor. As our mission statement indicates, we want to educate, empower, and enrich our neighbors with whom we share the areas of Koreatown and Westlake. We invite you to join us on this journey by participating in an Urban Immersion.
Our Urban Immersion programs, which happen on Saturdays, are a perfect opportunity for a youth group, a Social Justice Committee, or just a group of socially conscious people to get a hands-on look at the work UPLA does in our urban community.
We see ourselves as an urban project of the Unitarian Universalist faith in the greater Los Angeles area, and we welcome your congregation to come learn more about our urban ministry and the ways UPLA strives to live into our Seven Principles.
Together, we Unitarian Universalists are committed to transforming the world. Come join the UPLA family in this work!
Here’s a sampling of some of the things included in a typical Urban Immersion:
- volunteer with Groceries for Our Neighbors, our program which provides groceries to hundreds of people each week
- learn about the history of UPLA and Unitarian Universalism in Los Angeles
- meet with the students in our Without Limits Math Tutoring program and our adult English classes
- have lunch in our Neighborhood Garden and get a chance to talk with other UPLA volunteers about their experiences
- discuss and reflect on questions of “help” versus “empowerment,” systemic injustice, and more
- join together in Unitarian Universalist community for centering meditation and song
To let us know of your interest in setting up an Urban Immersion or to go ahead and sign up for an available date, please fill out the form below. Our current upcoming available Urban Immersion dates will be posted soon.